Friday, October 19, 2012

Dwarf Umbrella plant - Schefflera Arbicola

Where I live in Malaga these plants (sometimes small trees) are very common both as exterior and interior plants. The image above is of one in my apartment. While I have never seen them flower indoors it is quite common to see them flowering outdoors all over town.
I realize that the correct name for these is "schefflera arboricola" but I got used to calling it "arbicola" and since it is easier to remember it kinda stuck. The image below is of what I believe is the "fruit" of the Dwarf Umbrella plant, at least this is what forms after the flower.
Dwarf Umbrella plants can be very floppy and unruly so it can help to use a bamboo or cane shaft to keep the stems from flopping over. This plant has the tendency to grow multiple stems from its base.
One very creative idea that I have seen for this plant can be seen below. This idea makes the plant look more like a tree even though it has multiple stems.
A burlap fabric is wrapped around the stems to create the look of one thicker "trunk". Very neat idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment